Thursday, June 2, 2011

When to Buy Organic - The Dirty Dozen & The Clean 15

I found this article in VegNews Magazine and have since been living by it! Either commit this puppy to memory or (like me) keep it in your phone for easy finding!

The Dirty Dozen - Buy Organic
Apples
Bell Peppers
Blueberries
Celery
Cherries
Grapes
Kale & Collard Greens
Nectarines
Peaches
Potatoes (also happens to be one of the FDA's riskiest foods in terms of food borne illness and recalls)
Spinach
Strawberries

The Clean 15
Asparagus
Avocados
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Eggplant
Grapefruit
Honeydew Melon
Kiwi
Mango
Onions
Pineapple
Sweet Corn
(but the corn I get from the farmers market is leaps & bounds tastier than the junk from the grocery store)
Sweet Peas
Sweet Potatoes
Watermelon


I find a good rule of thumb is to actually pay attention to what you are buying. If the produce you are buying has a fairly sturdy skin (ie pineapple) then all those pesticides are going to have a much harder time getting into the good stuff you eat. Also, if you eat the skin of the produce, I buy organic for the most part.

I hope you guys find this helpful! When do you buy organic?!

1 comment:

  1. I buy organic fruit and veg when it's on special offer! I always buy organic eggs and milk though.

    ReplyDelete